Thursday, November 20

hanging around...

my latest thrifty obsession is clothes hangers...especially the crocheted kind.
but as with crocheted granny blankets, actually finding one in 'non garish' colors is pretty rare, at least in my neck of the woods. i have had a bit of luck on occasion but to be honest it is always hit or miss.


my need for such a multitude of 'said' item became apparent when i started to plan my skirt party way back when in september. the half a dozen or so hangers i possessed for 'photo taking' purposes, suddenly appeared way too little for displaying the slips at an 'event'...
i mentioned this issue to my man, "we have plenty of plastic hangers you can use or wire ones, why do you need to go and find more?"...at that point i made a mental note not to discuss such finer details with my man again...when i mentioned the suggestion to our #1 later that day, she looked aghast and said "does he not have a clue, surely he sees it's about the whole picture here, the 'look' you are creating?" which made me feel alot better...especially knowing i had bought at least 'one being' into this world with some 'visual' integrity.


and so my little 'hanger' collection has been growing slowly and steadily. now i have t-shirts to add to the 'rack' for my 'holiday craft shop', i have decided as good crocheted ones are thin on the ground, i will set about making my own...it is 'my treat' that i reward myself with, after 3 or more t-shirts have been done, i allow myself a cup of tea and to crochet one hanger...


it is very simple, they are made from a strip of double crochet the length of the hanger and wide enough to wrap around...when finished i just fold it around the hanger and stitch it along the bottom. i am quite sure this is a 'no brainer' for any crocheter but it gives me a 'yarn fix', uses up odd bits from my 'yarn stash' and best of all, relieves the monotony of doing lots of t-shirts in a short space of time...i am up to 21 'tees' and i think that's where i am stopping. i plan to start tomorrow on 'black slips', trying to get a few made in time for the holiday season which is fast approaching...

she's hoping the weather brightens so she can take a pic of her 'find of the century' at the thrift store, to show tomorrow ~ Tif

12 comments:

*Marie* said...

Ohhhh I love them, the colours are amazing!! They are so special:)...Greetings from Danmark *Marie*

dottie angel said...

greetings to you too *Marie*...thank you for dropping by my little blog :) and for having love in your heart for 'crocheted hangers' ;)

Kristy said...

I have a bit of a crochet hanger fetish too but alas no reason to justify them! They do look pretty in my utility room though.

Hear Me Roar! said...

If I could only crochet, I would beaver away at making you some of these lovely hanger shirts. I can't wait to see what you found on your thrifting. Was it a vintage Christmas tablecloth?! Because that's what I have MY eye out for!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I've had hangers on the brain, too. You can send me the garish ones. ;> I like things bright. I may do this tonight with some I picked up this past weekend at Ikea. Don't you think woodburning designs on them would be fun, too?

Michelle said...

love the hangers...i have a few of the girly frilly sort the ladies in town made me when i had little miss...they are very "out there" but sweet...

Anonymous said...

I have a 'thing' for old wooden hangers - especially painted ones, and crocheted covered ones, so naturally, I love these! Makes me wish I knew how to crochet! - too many irons in the fire right now, though.

Anonymous said...

Pretty hangers are just part of the clothes-love thing. The fabulous satin padded ones have my heart - extra points for lavender sachets and flowers. Even if my clothes can't always be vintage heaven - I can have glam hangers (it's the wardrobe equivalent of nice undies!).

Love these!

E

Unknown said...

I love this idea, i think i may need a whole new set of hangers! - have you thought of selling these too?

great colours btw :)

emma
x

Anonymous said...

When my daughter left home 12 years ago!! I wrote her a little book. One page was on the virtues of padded hangers. Yes, I am a clothes hanger snob. Things come off the wire hangers the dry cleaners use and get transferred to satin, velvet, crochet and printed cotton. Then we are settled. You are doing the world a BIG favor here with your crocheted hangers, keep up the good work!

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Hi Tif:

Thank you so much for the crochet hanger idea. I just did two of them with leftovers from my ripple blanket. I have been meaning to try this for ages.

Thanks so much,

Lisa
Knitty, Vintage and Rosy

~~Deby said...

I am having a rather FUN time on your blog this morning...I love this idea for wooden hangers..I can do this, I say to myself..I can I can..so I must find some..and where I live by the *Sea* in the pac-north-wet....welllll I am surrounded by almost a trillion thrifty places...so I might scootch in today...for a quickie browse....
A new follower...
Deby
not British...but did live in the lovely Cotswolds...
and now residing near a Fair...in the state of ever-green
and a VERY harmless...soul..I might add